- We’re up and running for 2019.
- Results are now available.
- An excellent evening for running with a very big welcome in Caltra for a near record number of finishers. It was a fast course with some very fine times recorded across the field.
- A muggy evening in Craughwell, but the rain held off to allow for some fast running, and good times.
- That hill isn’t getting any flatter, but isn’t deterring the crowds, with another good turnout in Loughrea.
- A great evening for running in Athenry. Breezy, sunny but quite brisk weather-wise. Some fast times on the new course from last year.
- A new out-and-back course - flat and fast - on an overcast evening in Tuam brought the crowds out again - just 1 more to go!
- And another year comes to a close on a damp night in Kilcornan. Wear your shirt with pride for the next 12 months!
About the race series
The County Galway 5km series, is an initative of the Galway Athletic Clubs. Over 6 Tuesday nights, a 5km race is organised by one of the athletic clubs across the county. The format is simple - one race number covers the entire series. No prizes are awarded, but anyone who completes 4 of the 6 races gets a souvenir race t-shirt. After the last race, a social night is organised by the final host club.
The series has exploded in popularity over the years, to the point where entry sells out in a matter of minutes.
All proceed of the 5k series goes to fund juvenile and adult athletics in Galway.
Please car pool to venues - parking is strictly limited at all venues!
Caltra show map
Race HQ: Community Hall
Start approx 1km on Galway side of Caltra. Finish in village
Parking at Community Hall.
Direction from Galway go via R339 directly via Monivea, or N63 to Mountbellew and onto R358
Allow min 45mins travel time from Galway City.
Craughwell show map
Race HQ: Community Hall
Loughrea show map
Race HQ: Former location of Gaelscoil Riabhach
The school has moved, but we're using the same location and route as last year.
Athenry show map
Race HQ: Located at the finish line, Ard Aobhinn estate entrance
The Race start is located on the Link road 2k from the Train station past the tennis courts (last years’ start) continue to the T-junction and turn right. Toilets will be located at this junction.
Tuam show map
Race HQ: Off Bishop St, Swimming Pool road
We have had to change our course due to roadworks and we now have a new out and back course which is fast and flat.
Runners must stay on the road until the turnaround and will then come back on the footpath/cycle lane.Route - The race starts at Kilcornan House. It proceeds down the main avenue, turns left towards Kilcolgan and enters Kilcornan wood 400 metres later. After leaving the wood, the route proceeds to re-enter Kilcornan Wood from the east and the race ends at Kilcornan House.
It is absolutely vital that runners do not run on the footpath or cycle lane on the way to the turnaround at 3km.
There is ample car parking in Tuam town centre including Tuam Cathedral 200+ spaces, O'Tooles Supervalu car parks and Co Council car parks.
Clarinbridge show map
Hosted by GCH in Kilcornan
Route - The race starts at Kilcornan House. It proceeds down the main avenue, turns left towards Kilcolgan and enters Kilcornan wood 400 metres later. After leaving the wood, the route proceeds to re-enter Kilcornan Wood from the east and the race ends at Kilcornan House.
Runner safety - Please follow the directions of the race marshals at all times.
Parking - There are a large number of parking spaces available in different car parks in Kilcornan House. Please follow the directions of the parking stewards when parking. Access to Kilcornan House will not be possible under any circumstances after 7.45. If you arrive at the venue after that time please park in Clarinbridge village. Parking is not allowed at any point along the route.
Refreshments will be available after the race in the main hall in the swimming pool at Kilcornan House. Race series t-shirts will also be distributed in this hall.